Thursday, February 7, 2008

Why do you write?

Kind of funny that this is the prompt for this morning because when I awoke at 4am the flood of why do I write came pouring through my mind. I write because it is the best way I have to communicate. I never have been very good at speaking, well I take that back, if I sit down and write out my speech or talk then i am a great speaker or teacher. On the other hand I don't do well speaking off the cuff, I need preparation. But for some reason when my hands and paper meet, the words typically form fairly easily.

When I was younger, I loved to chat on line with guys. I honestly had several swooning men wanting my hand in marriage, no I didn't profess my love to them, but I could be a lot more open and free and expressive in word on line than in person with the guys around me. Not sure why I have even thought of this chatting thing but a very good example of one thing one reason why I write.

Another reason why I love to write is because it truly helps me feel better. I have several journals filled with my words, nothing that I would really even let anyone else read, maybe my kids and grandkids but it has been a way for me to deal with anger, stress, joy and any other emotion I have felt that day...maybe that is way I have been so emotional the last 8 years...I haven't been keeping my personal journal like I used to.

I just ran into some friends when in California and the asked me if I still stayed up late journaling and I had to admit that I didn't, one reason why I started the blog after my trip. I had missed writing and realized that it is something that I need to do.

No I don't think one day my name will be plastered on the O Book Club, nor do I have goals to be a famous writer, I just want to write, and get to the point where my writings are actually ledgeable. (I really hate the red underlining spell checker thing cuz it makes me want to figure out how to spell a word like ledge able) Anyway, recently I posted a blog stating my dreams of being a writer. I do want to write and think that it is fun but honestly don't think that I am sellable. I just do it because I like it. I love the feeling of releasing my thoughts out into the open, allowing them to catch wind and take flight.

Time's up!

No comments: