Thursday, February 7, 2008

Phobias

Scelerophibia- Fear of bad men, burglars.

When I first read the prompt, my initial thoughts were that I hate writing about fears, because my biggest fear is to share my fears leaving open the ever possible universe to consume them and use them against me. I re-read the prompt and realized it didn't say share your biggest fear but to go to the list and find a phobia from the list and write about it.

So I went to the website, and not knowing where to start I just said, my last name starts with an s, lets go there. And the very first fear that popped at me is Scelerophibia, the fear of bad men. I didn't even know that there was a name for such a fear, and that what I thought was rational thinking always on my part was an actual phobia!

I use this terrible fear, to instill fear in my children so they won't go play in the front yard alone, or run away from me at the store, or walk off at the park. You may have a hard time believing that a loving mother would instill fear in her sweet children, but I admit it I do.

Emily, 2.5, will look at me as we are walking out front and say "bad guy get me." Yes she is afraid that a bad guy is going to get her. In all reality I do fear that some strange terrible man will walk by and snatch up my children. I fear so much this that when I am at the store, I walk around with a paranoid eye. It took me a long time (until last year) to take my kids to parks. I think I watched the Adam Walsh show one to many times as a child.

When I go to the store I make my six year old sit in the cart because I am afraid he will wonder off or some bad guy will take him.

Anyway I think fears are silly, but we all have them. The sad thing is I truly don't think fear is good and that it comes from up above....anyway, I still fear bad guys.

No comments: