Thursday, February 7, 2008

Boggart

As I am quickly rushing through the house, grabbing loose items hoping to find their home, I hear a strange noise coming from the pantry. Ignoring the sounds I continue to gather the socks, shorts and t-shirts from the floor throwing them into the laundry basket. Up the stairs with another doll I go. Then off to the bathroom to brush my teeth, use the toliet and finally slip into bed.

After I am ready for bed, I hear the noise again. So I go into the rooms, where my three little ones rest, re-tuck them in, give them kisses and quietly shut their doors. Again there is that noise in the pantry, "do we have mice?"

I can not resist the temptation to check on the audio disturbance. So I run down the stairs, turn a light on, and head to the kitchen through the pantry door. Low and behold standing in the pantry was a 500 lbs version of me, stuffing her face with the Snickers bars that I thought I had so carefully hidden on the top shelf. She stops for a minute, stairs at me with a chocolate stained face, then continues to finish the last candy, with a lick off of each finger stip. Standing still, I carefully look her up and down wondering how I am going to get out with out being eaten alive. Our eyes make contact and I can only imagine what is going on behind them. Visions of sugar plums??

Suddenly I remember the stash of Twinkies I have hidden under my nightstand. Her stomach begins to growl and I know it is only minutes before she finds no more snacks to eat and she will only find fruits and veggies that will not satisfy her. Putting a finger in the air I try to motion to her to slow down and I will be right back.

I quickly turn, go to run out the door, hitting the door jam, falling flat on my behind. As fast as I hit the floor I was back on my feet and out the little food closet. I run through the family room, trip over that little toy dinosaur I missed on the way up to bed. I catch myself before my face hits the fingerprinted smudged coffee table. I thought getting up the stairs to my stash was going to be easier than this. Note to self, make sure the house is totally clean before bed.

I get to the second floor, turn my bedroom light on, and hear a cry. A baby, I have to nurse the baby. But the cries and moans from downstairs start to out blast the baby in my room crying. Ok baby can wait.

Night stand, where is my night stand? Its pitch black I can't see a thing. "I'm HUNGRY!" As I fumble across the night stand to find that little button, I knock the half filled cup of water all over, "Crap!" Where is that little switch, should be easy to find. Bingo. Lights on, I open the drawer to only find my stash gone! "who ate my stash?" Can I make it to the gas station before there is nothing left in my house to eat? Oh wait I have one more spot to check. I run to my closet and find some left over halloween candy on the shelf.

I run down stairs, the me beast is standing in front of the fridge, with the open door monitor beeping. Surely she is disappointed at the items she has been staring at. I yell to her, "hey you...have one of these!" I throw to her a very stale, life saver sucker.

She says thanks and disappears into the night. I look around the kitchen, dishes in the sink, food left out on the counter, crumbs all over the floor and realize that's who has been making the messes in the middle of the night, the boggart in the pantry.

No comments: