Thursday, October 30, 2008

Maddie

"Everything looks good. Thanks for joining me for lunch. Let's eat." Maddie said as she put her napkin in her lap.
Maddie grabbed her fork and knife and began to cut into her steak. She tried her best to cut it with out too much of a mess, but the slab of meat was so tough, sweat began to drip down her face. With effort the knife went back and forth until the meat slipped off the plate, and flew half way across the table, knocking some salad off her plate. Everyone seemed to stop and look up. As if on cue they began to giggle.
"I am so sorry, I can't cut my steak."
Maddie's giggle turned to hard laughter, she even snorted. She wasn't alone. The rest of the lunch group caught the bug and were chuckling along with her. They laughed until their bellies hurt. Will adding to the humor, grabbed his steak and asked, "Anyone up for some hockey?"
"At least we got the salad and cookies to eat." Aunt Liz added to the group.
"I am so glad you all joined me for lunch."
"Sorry its not more edible" said Will.
"It's alright my doctor has said I should eliminate red meat from my diet. So thanks for helping me start following doctors orders." Fred commented with a chuckle.
After much banter the group finished up their lunch, what was left to eat. And began to clear the table.
"This was a lot of fun, even if it didn't turn out quite like we had planned. I had a great time." Maddie said as she washed the dishes by hand. Will grabbed the wet plates and dried them off. Liz put them away. Fred, well he wasn't apart of the assembly line, he sat on the recliner and read through a magazine.

No comments: