Thursday, October 30, 2008

Burdens Made Light: Sally

With out hesitation she blurted out "James died, Mom." Which was followed by loud hard sobs.

"Oh sweetie, I am so sorry. How? When?" Sally's mom Ann asked and then waited for what was about five minutes for her daughter to answer.

"Mom its been three months. He was driving home from work. Another car hit him." She managed to say between deep breaths and gasps for air.

"Oh Sally, I am so sorry. I wish you had called sooner. What can we do for you." Ann was always willing to help and take care of people. Even if her daughter had married too young and with out their consent, she still loved her. She wanted to comfort her some how. She wished she could just reach out and hug her, give her a kiss and put a bandaid on her wounds and send her back out to play. Gone were those days and years. Years, it has been years since she had even spoken to her. If only she hadn't pushed her daughter away.

"Sally where are you living? I am going to come see you."

"Mom we live in Pleasanton, but you don't have to do that." Pleasanton was about six hours north by car of Sunnyvale.

"Yes I am." There never was any use telling her mom no, she never took it for an answer anyway, which is why they hadn't spoken for six years.

"Ok, I'd love to see you. But there is one other thing. I hate to ask. You did ask if there was anything I need. Well we didn't have a life insurance policy for James, and I have spent our savings already on paying everything." Sally began to explain. How do you not talk to someone for six years and then just ask them for money. Sally needed more than money from her mom right now too.

"Sweetie, I will be happy to help you out with anything. Can it wait until I get there? I am going to pack my bags and head out. As soon as you give me directions that is."

Address was given and good-byes where said.

Sally put down the phone, and lay her head on the desk on top of her folded arms. She cried. She even said a little prayer, thanking God for helping her make that call, for her mom in being quick to assist. She felt a calm comfort drape over her shoulders as if someone had just put a blanket over her back replacing the weight that seemed to be resting on them. This brought her a feeling that everything was going to be alright. It had to be.

No comments: