Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Excuses- Please don't give them to me

Oh the big E word! I really could go on for days about excuses! Really! I just was talking to a friend about them. I can't stand excuses. There are really no reason for them. Before you jump down my throat about this but really, there is no need. I think if you can't do something, just say "I can't" And that really should be good enough. There really shouldn't be a "I'd love to help you out but my dog just ate a box of rat poison and I have to run to the hospital!" Well ok maybe people need to hear some of those excuses.

I guess the thing that bugs me about excuses is when people excuse themselves from doing almost everything because they feel their life is harder than anyone elses? Maybe that is n't it either. Maybe I need to find some example to express what it is about excuses that really bug me.

For example, I had been up all night with my new born, had another sick child, husband was out of town. I was tired to say the least. I was suppose to meet with a friend. She had been up until heave forbid midnight most likely drinking with her husband, and only got to sleep until 8 am because her two kids woke up too early, so she couldn't go and do the thing we had planned because she was just too tired! Hello please don't talk to me about tired! I mean I understand. I am sorry you are tired...but don't you think I am too?? But does that stop me from following through on a commitment??

Ok and another thing, I don't know about you, but maybe I have the martyr syndrome and just go about and do things, but really I think we could come up with excuses to get out of everything in life you know?

I am not guiltless of using excuses either, I know I pull the "I'm just not feeling well" card a lot. When I get stressed I physically get ill. Especially when I know I have to be in front of people or in a crowd, my anxiety takes over me. So I have to excuse myself from going to these places. But maybe I'd do better if I got over my excuses and just got up and went.

Saturdays my husband likes to go out and do stuff, and usually it means with all the kids and half the city. I literally come home so exhausted and sick from the caos. But I try and do my best to spend time with my family.

Anyway, at some point I think excuses should be left by the wayside and we should be just wiling to live our life's, and serve...

that was so random and now I will jump off my mixed up soap box!
Corrine Simonsen

No comments: