Thursday, April 9, 2009

Earth Worms

As the rain clouds slowly blew away, the sun shone a little light on the ground inviting us to creep out of our house, where we had been locked in all day.  With four small kids, keeping them happy indoors for too long, can be come extremely difficult. So the minute the rains let up, we were out the door.   I think I already said that didn't I.  None the less, we were eager to get moving and smell some fresh wet pavement and cleaned out air.
 
After strapping the baby in the stroller and locking the front door, we headed on to our little mile walk.  Seems that the eyes of children see things clearer and notice things better, far better than my own aged eyes. 
 
Coming out of the ground, most likely eager as us to get some sunlight, was a long skinny pink earth worm.  My own son mistaking it for a small snake, quickly asked if he could keep it for a pet.  
 
"Really you want to keep this as a pet? You can I guess. They just need dirt.  Where are you going to put it?"
 
"Umm I don't know."
 
We all looked around for something to put him in.  My son tried the flat rock, but the worm wiggled off.  Then there was a straw, he thought to have him climb in, but the worm would have nothing to do with that.
 
Then my eyes caught a hold of the empty water bottle in the bottle of the stroller.  I convinced them that it would make a great home for the worm.  Just add a little dirt, and voila you have a cool worm home.  So they filled the bottle up.  And now we have a pet.  Wonder if we can teach him any tricks?
__,_._,___

No comments: